The Royal Palace was built by Charles of Bourbon, King of Naples and Sicily.
The work was entrusted to Luigi Vanvitelli, the laying of the foundation stone took place on 20 January 1752 and the works were completed in the following century by Carlo Vanvitelli, son of Louis.
The Royal Palace looks like a majestic monumental complex spread over about forty and four thousand square meters, with a rectangular and divided internally into four courtyards, spread over five floors, with 1,200 rooms, millesettecentoquarantadue Windows and 34 staircases. The main entrance allows access to a long tunnel, the so-called "Telescope" that connects with the central axis of the Park spread over 120 hectares and "waterway" in a series of fountains concluded by a spectacular waterfall.
The striking staircase surmounted by a double time and enriched with precious decorations, leads to the historical apartments built between the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Previously environments used by the Italian air force, handed over to museum management following an agreement between the Ministry of culture and the defence which provides the destination for cultural purposes of the entire main floor is host your collection Terrae Motus, one of the most important contemporary art collections in the world including the works of artists such as Andy Warhol, Keith Haring, Joseph Beuys, Mimmo Paladino, Emilio Vedova etc.
The strap is inserted from 1997 on the World Heritage list of Unesco and by 2014 has been equipped with financial autonomy, with key Italian State museums.